This article will discuss the 10 reasons why you need a solar battery charger for your home, car, recreational vehicles and some other electronic devices.
Have you seen your recent electricity bill?
How did you feel when you saw it?
Was it too high?
These are just a few of the questions regarding the electricity that we pay month after month.
Although these questions can be easily answered, it’s still hard for us to realize how much we spend on it because aside from being a commodity, we are also used to it.
However, we are now aware that an increasing number of households have already shifted to solar power because of the significant advantages and efficiencies that it offers.
Other than its economic effect, it also has benefits for our environment.
We use many different systems to harness solar energy, among which is the solar battery charger.
Table of Contents
- What is solar battery charger?
- Why you need to use solar charger?
- 3 Types of Devices You Can Use for Your Solar Charger
- How to Choose the Right Portable Solar Battery Charger
What is Solar Battery Charger?
By definition, a solar charger is a battery charger that uses solar energy to provide electricity to devices, appliances, or batteries such as mobile phones, laptops, even car batteries.
Its functionalities work relatively similar to a solar photovoltaic system and the traditional battery storage system.
The light of the sun hits the device’s surface.
The light is absorbed by the solar cells which build the whole solar device.
Why You Need To Use Solar Charger?
It was already mentioned that solar batteries offer numerous advantages that users can enjoy.
While some can be outright seen, some are subtler than we imagine. So, let’s point it out one by one:
1. Highly Efficient
One of the most visible advantages of a solar panel battery charger is it lets you recharge your gadgets and car batteries without the need to use external electrical sources.
Solar powered battery chargers are generally easy to transport.
Portable solar chargers are quite efficient, especially if you are normally outside and no electrical sources available.
You don’t need to stress yourself looking for plugs to recharge your phone or other electronic gadgets because you can carry this everywhere you go.
2. Always On-the-Go
If your lifestyle is always on-the-go, you better have this portable solar charger then, or when you are going on a trip. It is quite unnecessary to bring an additional battery if a solar charger is available on hand.
You will have the freedom of movement without the need to stress yourself out whenever your phone or laptop is about to die and there are no external electrical means available.
All you need to do is bring out your soar charger and you are ready to go.
3. Cost Effective
It minimizes your expenses for energy costs.
Aside from spending money in purchasing the solar charger, the electricity that would power your devices will be free.
You can lessen your electrical power usage and lower your electricity bill.
It is also environment-friendly. Once a solar charger is already manufactured, solar cells no longer release any emissions, wastes, or any by-products.
Furthermore, it functions inaudibly so it doesn’t add to any kind of pollution as well as it reduces global warming and the greenhouse effect.
5. Low Maintenance
The maintenance doesn’t require a great amount of fortune after they are brought up to if fullest efficiency.
Other than cleaning its surface with some 409, no maintenance is needed for it to function properly.
Solar chargers are reliable particularly in the times when natural disasters occur. For example, an earthquake happens.
The first thing that electric companies would do is shut off their lines to avoid fires from happening. Another example would be during the typhoon.
There are numerous instances that a strong wind can put down the electric posts and cable wires which can lead to blackouts.
In these situations, a solar charger is much needed, specifically in recharging communication devices.
7. It is not Just for Tech-Savvy
The portable charger is user-friendly and too much attention is not necessary.
All you need to do is attach the battery to a solar charger, and let the light of the sun do the job. No need to input codes or do some magic tricks for it to work.
8. Provide Energy to Numerous Devices
It can provide energy to numerous battery-powered devices as long as it is charged.
It has already proven its durability since it can withstand any seasons.
Although it is more effective when put under broad daylight, the can still be efficient and reliable during cold seasons or climates.
Other solar chargers are also known to be waterproof.
With all the reasons listed from numbers one to nine, it also leads to this main reason why you need to use a solar battery charger because of its convenience.
It can store energy that allows you to charge your electronic devices anywhere you go.
A portable solar charger doesn’t put too much weight so it wouldn’t be hard for you.
3 Types of Devices You Can Use for Your Solar Charger
The idiom “one size, doesn’t fit all” can be applied for solar battery charger.
There are a lot of options for chargers available in the market. The lists below are just some of the common ways to use a battery charger.
1. RV Solar Battery Charger
One of the popular usages of solar battery charger is with RVs or recreational vehicles.
Though some households or couples are using RVs as their permanent residence, they are commonly used for road trips, camping, or travel across the country, and car battery failures would be inconvenient in these special activities.
However, with the use of it, such inconvenience would be avoidable.
In the majority of the instances, the ideal option for an RV is a solar-powered trickle charger which gradually reloads the voltage of the vehicle’s internal battery.
This type of charger is perfect for the reason that they reduce the chances of overloading the battery.
2. Marine Solar Battery Charger
There are two reasons why it is of great use for marine boats: one, the exposure to sunlight; and two, the small scale load.
Recreational boats are mainly used during the summer season and are intended for calm and sunny conditions.
So, it would be unlikely for a person to sail during a stormy day.
Adding to this, a solar battery charger is the most sensible choice for a boat because standard battery chargers are not often waterproof.
The batteries and motors of a typical personal-used boat are naturally small and more likely to overload compared to a standard car battery.
A solar charger would be a great use because it generates the right amount of electricity without overloading the battery of the boat, leaving the owner and passengers safe from any dangers.
3. Solar Battery Charger for Phone
Solar battery chargers for phones can work similarly to functions of portable chargers.
One of the most used gadgets in this new generation is the cell phone.
With the newest upgrades and installations, cell phones are being used in almost any transaction.
Running errands, paying bills, ordering food, shopping, name it, a cell phone can do it for you.
Therefore, you must bring a solar charger for the phone wherever you go for you to continue your tasks without the fear of a dead battery.
How to Choose the Right Portable Solar Battery Charger
As mentioned there are different options to choose from, and there are many things to consider before purchasing the right portable solar battery charger.
So, how to choose the perfect one?
When buying a solar charger, the first thing you need to think of is its usage.
- What are you going to charge? By answering this question, you’ll be able to set a parameter on what devices you’ll need to charge. If you’ll have an ordinary model of a smartphone, then you’ll only need about 4-5 watt charger. Although, there are brands such as Apple products that require a lot of energy.
- Where are you going to use it? Take note that there are places where sunlight is rare. When selecting a portable solar battery charger, you need to put into consideration the output power. Check out the specifications carefully because the manufacturer may indicate the maximum amperage for one port or all of them.
- Check the connections. Most portable solar chargers come with a USB port or more, although some electronic gadgets cannot be charged without a special adapter. Remember the adapters you need or what you will charge again.
- Unified batteries. It is a very useful feature provided that you choose to put your solar charger underneath the blazing sunlight and do your task while it is engaged in collecting power for your cell phone. It would be very convenient if you want to store energy received from the rays of the sun.
- Handiness. It would be sensible to choose a model that will be user-friendly and does not take a great time installing. Look at the special perforations or other feature elements to attach the chargers to a backpack or anything.
- Weight. Of course, if you’ll be going on a trip or your work needs you to stay outdoors most of the time, carrying a heavy solar charger would be hard. It is crucial to consider its weight when purchasing as well.
- Price. Think through your budget before purchasing since it would cost you some hefty amount. Sometimes, it is economical to purchase a solar battery charger with no battery and a separate external battery. It can also be more effective to make use of it in this way.
If you are still unfamiliar with this device, you might find it hard to remember jargon such as watts, voltage, and amperage which seem to appear a bit scary.
However, once you get a glimpse of these terms, it’s not hard as you imagined it.